If you are not confident about what you are doing here (i.e. know what FreeBSD's concept of a slice, partition are and how drive numbering and device naming work) you should probably not try this. If the slice you are installing on is a different one or if the drive is actually wd, etc. you need to know enough about the above to adjust the commands below appropriately.
Note from 10/99 D. Ott, Modified by F. Hernandez 1/00
We found the following steps to work when installing new disks on dirt and moorthy. I suspect they would work on all our FreeBSD machines.
foghorn (/net/buzzard/dirt/fhernand)$ df Filesystem 512-blocks Used Avail Capacity Mounted on /dev/wd0s1a 254302 59180 174778 25% / /dev/wd0s1f 11073610 1551656 8636066 15% /usr /dev/wd0s1e 254302 9938 224020 4% /var /dev/wd1s1e 19418438 2 17864962 0% /playpen1 procfs 8 8 0 100% /proc buzzard.cs.unc.edu:/playpen 823070 716770 24000 97% /net/buzzard/playpen buzzard.cs.unc.edu:/smithfd 3905146 2508674 1005972 71% /net/buzzard/smithfd tyagi137.cs.unc.edu:/usr 16408972 10718886 4377370 71% /net/tyagi137/usr buzzard.cs.unc.edu:/jeffay2 4352724 1268526 2648938 32% /net/buzzard/jeffay2 buzzard.cs.unc.edu:/dirt-playpen 17411002 439798 15230104 3% /net/buzzard/dirt-playpen buzzard.cs.unc.edu:/dirt-bulk 3905146 3169590 345056 90% /net/buzzard/dirt-bulk buzzard.cs.unc.edu:/dirt 7879208 5727788 1363500 81% /net/buzzard/dirtThe device name for partition "/playpen1" is "/dev/wd1s1e". The modified /etc/fstab file will be:
foghorn (/net/buzzard/dirt/fhernand)$ cat /etc/fstab # Device Mountpoint FStype Options Dump Pass# /dev/wd0s1b none swap sw 0 0 /dev/wd0s1a / ufs rw 1 1 /dev/wd0s1f /usr ufs rw 2 2 /dev/wd0s1e /var ufs rw 2 2 /dev/wd1s1e /playpen1 ufs rw 2 2 /dev/wcd0c /cdrom cd9660 ro,noauto 0 0 /dev/wdc1 /zipdos msdos rw,noauto 0 0 proc /proc procfs rw 0 0
On michigan I installed as per the instructions below. They seemed to work fine, except that disk devices were named da0s1, da1s1, etc.
Notes from the 2.2.2 handbook on how to do this - Note the notes in the more recent versions don't tell you how to do it this way.
To get the 2nd drive (playpen1) on goldberg to work I had to manually label it and put a FS on it. First I tried to do this with /stand/sysinstall using the partition editor (FDISK) and the label editor but it always failed when I tried to write the partition information. However, I think it may have done some of the basic labelling so you may want to give it a whirl to get you part way there. After I failed in /stand/sysinstall and I tried to mount and got some message about a bad boot block I looked at the Handbook page above. I generated two disk label outputs. One of the disk I needed to work on, sd1, and one of a disk that seemed to be set up the way I wanted this one. In this case they were both on the same machine (sd2 was the other) so I did: /sbin/disklabel -r /dev/sd1s1 > /tmp/diskproto.sd1 /sbin/disklabel -r /dev/sd2s1 > /tmp/diskproto.sd2 The output of each was: diskproto.sd1: ============== # /dev/sd1s1: type: SCSI disk: sd1s1 label: flags: bytes/sector: 512 sectors/track: 63 tracks/cylinder: 255 sectors/cylinder: 16065 cylinders: 1109 sectors/unit: 17832087 rpm: 3600 interleave: 1 trackskew: 0 cylinderskew: 0 headswitch: 0 # milliseconds track-to-track seek: 0 # milliseconds drivedata: 0 8 partitions: # size offset fstype [fsize bsize bps/cpg] c: 17832087 0 unused 0 0 # (Cyl. 0 - 1109*) and diskproto.sd2: ============== # /dev/sd2s1: type: SCSI disk: sd2s1 label: flags: bytes/sector: 512 sectors/track: 63 tracks/cylinder: 255 sectors/cylinder: 16065 cylinders: 1109 sectors/unit: 17832087 rpm: 3600 interleave: 1 trackskew: 0 cylinderskew: 0 headswitch: 0 # milliseconds track-to-track seek: 0 # milliseconds drivedata: 0 8 partitions: # size offset fstype [fsize bsize bps/cpg] c: 17832087 0 unused 0 0 # (Cyl. 0 - 1109*) e: 17832087 0 4.2BSD 0 0 0 # (Cyl. 0 - 1109*) The only difference is the addition of the line for the e: partition. So, I used /sbin/disklabel -e sd1 to edit the disklabel for sd1 and add that line. I then checked it with: /sbin/disklabel -r /dev/sd1s1 and it matched what I wanted. Finally, I had to create the newfs on the "e" slice: /sbin/newfs /dev/rsd1s1e This takes a few minutes. Then I added a line like: /dev/sd1s1e /playpen1 ufs rw 2 2 to /etc/fstab and did: /sbin/mount /playpen1 and it works!