My e-mail address is pc AT cs.unc.edu
Request fuller contact information in e-mail message.
- B.A. 1952, Swarthmore College, physics
- 1953, Université de Nancy, France (Fulbright Student Grant)
- A.M. 1954, Harvard, applied mathematics (computer science)
- Ph.D. 1955, Harvard, applied mathematics (computer science)
- Culture: e.g. classical music concerts, fine arts museums, and theater
- Foreign travel, including having led the following Sierra Club international outings
- western Turkey in October 2004, May 2006, and April 2010
- Costa Rica in July 2005
- southern Perú in May/June 2006, April/May 2007, and April 2008
- northern India in November 2009
- Piano (playing classical music)
- Public service, Town of Chapel Hill NC
- Technology Committee (member 1998-2000)
- Greenways Commission (member 2001-2006, chair 2003-2005)
- Studying foreign languages
- Teaching English to speakers of other languages
- Technical writing and editing
Calingaert, P. "Aiken as a Teacher", I. Bernard Cohen and Gregory
W. Welch (eds.), Makin' Numbers: Howard Aiken and the Computer,
Cambridge, MA: MIT Press, 1999, 143-161.
Calingaert, P. Growth of a Department: A Personal History of Computer
Science at UNC-Chapel Hill, UNC-Chapel Hill, 1994, 32 pp.
Calingaert, P. Program Translation Fundamentals: Methods and Issues,
Rockville, MD.: Computer Science Press, 1988, 366 pp. Italian translation,
Milano: Franco Angeli, 1990.
Calingaert, P. PC-DOS Fundamentals for Diskette-Based Operation,
Englewood Cliffs, NJ: Prentice-Hall, 1986, 254 pp.
Calingaert, P. Operating System Elements: A User Perspective, Englewood
Cliffs, NJ: Prentice-Hall, 1982, 240 pp. German translation, Munich:
Oldenbourg, 1983; Russian translation, Moscow: Mir, 1985.
Calingaert, P. Assemblers, Compilers, and Program Translation, Potomac,
MD: Computer Science Press, 1979, 270 pp.
Calingaert, P. "System Performance Evaluation: Survey and Appraisal",
Communications of the ACM, 10(1), Jan. 1967, 12-18.
Calingaert, P. Principles of Computation, Reading, MA:
Addison-Wesley, 1965, 200 pp. Portuguese translation, Rio de Janeiro,
Brazil: Ao Livro Tecnico, 1969.
Text last modified 2018-05-15; photo taken 2014-08-26
To the faculty information page
To the Computer Science Department home page