COMP 14: Introduction to Programming. jGRASP
Getting Started with jGRASP
To properly install jGRASP, you'll need to download and install both
jGRASP 1.8.3 and the Java Software Development Kit (SDK).
UPDATE Download Java SDK 1.5.0 Update 4 from sun:
There are differences between versions 1.5.0 and the older 1.4.2. The second edition of Malik's book relies upon some of the new features in 1.5.0.
- In the License dialog box, choose "I accept the terms..."
and click Next
- In the Custom Setup dialog box, you don't need to make
any changes, so just click Next
- In the Browser Registration dialog box, you don't need to
make any changes, so just click Install
- The installation will begin, and a progress bar will show you how
much time is remaining in the install process.
- When it's done, you should see a dialog box that says "The
InstallShield Wizard has successfully installed Java 2 SDK". Click Finish.
- You may need to restart your computer. You will have to restart your browser if you want Applets to work.
from the website. There are both Windows and Mac options (Mac users will need administrator privelages).
Windows: Double-click on the .exe file, and the script will take
you through the steps for installing jGRASP.
Mac: Double click on the .tar.gz, find the jGrasp183.pkg file and double click on it.
- In the Welcome dialog box, click Install.
- In the jGRASP License dialog box, click Agree.
- In the Target Directory dialog box, you don't need to
make any changes, so just click OK.
- In the Program Group dialog box, you don't need to make
any changes, so click OK
- In the second Target Directory dialog box, you don't need
to make any changes, so click OK.
- You may be presented with several dialog boxes that are titled Query
that ask about file associations. Click No on all of them except
the one that askes about .java files.
- Once you've answered all of the dialog boxes, the installation
- After the installation has finished, you'll be presented with
another Query dialog box asking about if jGRASP should be setup
for multiple users on a network. Click No.
- You will then see a dialog box that says "jGRASP has been
installed successfully". Click OK.
When you have completed the installation, you should find the
jGRASP icon on your Desktop. jGRASP should also be listed on the
Start Menu, under All Programs.
Once you have successfully installed the Java SDK and jGRASP, you
can delete jgrasp183.exe, j2sdk-14203.exe, and Java Web Start from
Starting jGRASP the First Time
Double-click on the jGRASP icon on your Desktop to start jGRASP.
You will probably get a message saying that there is a newer version of
jGRASP available online. It's ok, just ignore that message.
There are a couple of settings that you need to change the first time
you run jGRASP. You only need to follow these steps once.
Before continuing, you should read the Getting
Started chapter of the jGRASP
- Go to the Settings menu and highlight Look and
Feel>. A sub-menu will pop up. Select Windows. This will
make jGRASP look like a normal Windows program.
- Go to the Settings menu and highlight Compiler
Settings>. A sub-menu will pop up. Select Global. A
dialog box will open. After following the steps below, the dialog box
should look like this picture.
- Choose the Languages tab at the top of the dialog
- In the drop-down box next to "Language:", choose Java.
- Choose the Environment tab under the "Language:"
- Click on "jdk (integrated debugger, HotSpot VM, prefer JDK
compiler) - generic" so that it's highlighted.
- Click the Use button to the right of the list.
- Click OK.