Weekly Reports


1/24 1/31 2/7 2/14 2/21 2/28 3/7 3/14 3/21 3/28 4/4 4/11 4/18 4/25 5/2
Week ending in 1/24 
back

Overview of Week's Accomplishments
Initially, the group got together to get to know each other and assign the duties of Producer and Technical Director. The group met up with the client to make sure our understanding of the project goals and the client's were the same. Finally, the group got together to divide up writing the contract. It was also proposed that each group member strive to get to know different "experts" on the subject. 

Boss Meeting
NONE 

Client Meeting
1/22 - Group met with Russell Taylor to discuss the requirements and the goals for the project. The group obtained helpful information about the project's background and implementation. Set up a meeting with the client on 1/27 to work out any kinks in the contract. 

Group Meetings
1/21 (15 min) - group met to discuss each individual members personal work before the client meeting and next group meeting. Steve assigned the job of maintaining the group web page. 

1/23 (1 hour) - divided up the contract writing and decided that Steve would compile the contract parts together. Juan assigned to write the requirements and Jake was assigned to write the background. Paul assigned to get in touch with the "experts" and gather background information.  Tommy assigned work on the scheduling. 

Jake suggested a list serve for the group and set it up. 

Plan for next week
Meet with client to hammer out details of the contract. Begin gathering background information to finish up the schedule. Finish schedule and post on web. 


Week ending in 1/31 
back

Overview of week's accomplishments
The group worked on completing the Work Breakdown, Gnat, and Pert charts. This involved researching different parts of the project and breaking the project down into smaller parts. 

Boss Meeting
None, Boss meetings begin next week 

Client Meeting
1/29 - The group met with Taylor to gain an overall, broad view of the project. The group had their first glimpse of the actual microscope and the manner computers that it ran on. Dr. Taylor provided the group with a copy of the VRPN and microscope code. The code is in our COMP 145 space. 

Group Meetings
1/27 - (45 minutes) The group got together to finalize contract. We discussed improvements suggested by individual members. The scheduling charts were assigned to Juan and Tommy. 

1/30 - (1 hour) The group met again to review and add-on to the preliminary work done by Juan and 
Tommy. The group looked at some of the code. 

Plans for next week
Complete the scheduling charts on Microsoft Project.  The group will continue to research and gain background information on the project. The first Boss meeting will be on Wednesday 
(2/3) 


Weekly Report ending 2/7
back

Summary of the week's accomplishments: The group concentrated on finalizing the contract and the various scheduling charts (Work Breakdown, Gnat, and Pert Chart).  Furthermore, the group worked on general research and understanding of the Microscope and VRPN code to begin the User Manual and prototype simulator 

Client Meeting: 
2/4 - Paul had a brief meeting with Taylor to discuss the groups progress and finalizing of the contract. Besides this meeting Taylor was contacted by email regarding our getting a guided tour of the code. 

Group Meetings: 
2/2 - (45 min) The group revised the contract together and divided up the work for the following week. Juan and Tommy had brainstormed and drew a hand drawn copy of the Work Breakdown, Gnat, and Pert Chart. The group worked on translating the hand drawn charts to soft copy on Microsoft Project. This work was begun and assigned to 
Paul and Steve. Each group members progress and wants were also discussed. 

2/4 - (1 hr) The group got together on working out the kinks and finalizing the dates for the various scheduling charts. The research for the User manual was discussed. It was decided that the group would individually work on understanding the project and get together next week to finish up the contract. 

Plans for next week:
Finish the final version of the contract to be signed. Get the schedules done and on-line. Begin and finish the User Manual. 


Weekly Report Ending 2/14
back

Summary of work accomplished: 
The group finished up the last unfinished Gnat Chart and put it online. The group got back a revised contract from the Boss and this was revised and signed. The group continued on their 
research to finish the User Manual. The User Manual was completed and put online. 

Client Meeting: 
2/11 - Steve met with the client to get the contract signed. The client was e-mailed and updated on the groups progress. Due to scheduling problems, there was no meeting. 

Group Meetings:
2/10 (45 min) - The group met for a quick meeting to regroup our efforts over the weekend. The contract was reviewed by the group and work on its revision was divided up between Paul, Steve, and Jake. The revisions were e-mailed to Steve that night. 

The Gnat chart was semi-finished, but at least on the web. The group discussed further specification of the Gnat chart dates and work assignments and decided on revising the chart later. 

The User Manual was discussed. Various group members put in their  ideas on what the User Manual should consist of and what the project is.  Jake was able to give all the group members a general and semi specific explanation of the NanoManipulator and our project. It was decided for each group member to further research, write down a rough draft outline, and then write the User Manual as a group on 2/13. 

Although, the first group meeting was on Wednesday, the producer contacted each group member about their progress. 

2/13 (1 hr 15 min) - The group brought together all the group member's ideas and Jake physically typed up the Manual. Questions individual members had about the code were discussed. Since the rudimentary class turn ins have been finished, the group discussed the 
direction and actions we would need to get. 

The group decided on meeting with the client, Adam Seeker, or Tiger Guano to get a guide of the code. Paul spoke with Adam Seeker for 45 minutes about the VRPN code, but many of the group members still were confused of the VRPN code. The group plans on understanding enough of the code to get a working prototype which sends and received messages from 
Microscope to VRPN, but does not actually perform the various functions to be executed from sent messages. 

Plans for next week:
The group plans on meeting with the an expert to gain enough knowledge of the code to get a working prototype done. This will be the focus of the group this week. Hopefully a prototype will be up and running and designing of the system will begin by the following week. 


Week ending in 2/21 
back

Overview of Week's Accomplishments
The group completed the User Manual, signed and finalized the contract, and began our design phase of the microscope simulator. The group researched the microscope through the web and through talking with NanoManipulator team member, Aaron Helper.  Aaron has set up a prototype of the simulator that initializes the settings and sends and receives messages. With this base, the group will work on building up our prototype step by step. 

Boss Meeting
None 

Client Meeting
None with Taylor. 
2/19 -  The group met with Aaron Helper to discuss the specifications of the simulator and our additions to the simulator. 

Group Meetings
The group met together to discuss our weeks accomplishments and plan on the group's next steps. The group set up a tentative plan of setting up the scanned area in the simulator. 

Plan for next week
The goal of the group is to get a working prototype going. The group will seek to get the scanned area in the microscope and timer to return the automatic scanned values for the area. This will involve further meetings with Taylor and Helper and actual coding. 
 


Week ending in 2/28 
back

Overview of Week's Accomplishments
The group continued working on the current goal of creating a working prototype of the Simulator. The group met with Aaron Helper and Ruses Taylor for a detailed explanation of Helper's prototype. Although, no actual coding has begun, we are close to making our first step. Furthermore, the group worked on presenting the midterm presentation in class. 

Boss Meeting
2/25 (10 min)  The group talked about progress thus far.  Felt like we are on target.  Will know for sure when we getting into coding after spring break.  Will start adding whether we we are on time or behind on weekly reports. 

Client Meeting
2/23 (1 hour 45 min) The group met with Aaron Helper to get an explanation of the simulator prototype. Helper gave us a general overview of the simulator and its connection with the whole system.  Furthermore, we discussed possible ways of accomplishing our first changes to the prototype. We received this simulator code and a newly modified Microscope code. Helper and Taylor helped us get the code to compile and be ready for coding. 

Group Meetings
2/23 (45 min) The group discussed problems and questions that individual members had about the code. The group discussed our next step of meeting with Helper and starting coding. 

2/25 (30 min) The group briefly discussed individual progress.  All was as it should be. 

2/28 (1 hour 30 min) The group met to complete the midterm presentation. The group gathered the various information needed and made Power Point slides. It was further emphasized that everyone work towards a deeper understanding of the given code. 

Plan for next week
Since spring break is just around the corner, the group will not have much to do for this week. We hope to thoroughly understand the code by the end of spring break and have coded the first 
function of scanning in a surface area by the week following spring break. 

The group will probably also have a question/answer meeting with Helper next week. 


Week ending in 3/7
back

Overview of Week's Accomplishments
The group had a brief group meeting to figure out the plans for the week after Spring Break. The group continued individually figuring out of the code to start the first steps in designing and coding. 

Boss Meeting
None 

Client Meeting
The group continued to keep in contact with Taylor and asked Aaron questions. 

Group Meetings
3/4 (30 min):  The group discussed a plan during and after spring break.  The group plans on individual research of the code and brainstorming some designing and coding issues. 

Plan for next week
Next week is spring break, the group will work towards the finishing of the regular scanning function the week after Spring Break. 


Week ending in 3/14
back

Overview of Week's Accomplishments
Spring Break nothing was accomplished. 

Boss Meeting

Client Meeting

Group Meetings

Plan for next week


Week ending in 3/21
back

Overview of Week's Accomplishments
The group worked on discussing the various ideas and directions that individual group members had come up with.  There were still issues among group members over access to the hardware timer and the initializing the data member that would hold the surface data. The group came to a 
consensus over what the group understood and what one must figure out.  Help was sought out from Aaron, but Aaron was on vacation and could not respond.  The group came together on our individual ideas and developed an idea of what should be done. 

Boss Meeting
None. 

Client Meeting
None. The group was unsuccessful in getting in contact with Aaron. Taylor was also gone for the latter part of the week, so he was also unable to be contacted. 

Group Meetings
3/16 (30 min):  The group regrouped after the long spring break. Found that there were several misunderstanding with the code.  Decided on contacting Aaron or Taylor for help and meeting back on Saturday to begin coding. 

3/20 (1 hour):  Due to individual circumstances, not all group members were able to get together. Steve, Juan, and Jake tried to access the hardware timer, but failed. The group decided to meet again on Sunday.  Because Taylor and Helper were out of town, the group did not get any help. 

3/21 (1 hour):  Steve and Juan again tried to access the timer and BCGrid/BCPlane, but were again unsuccessful. This time, the group members figured out the exact questions that would need to be answered to get the job done. The group again sought to continue looking 
for Taylor and Helper. 

Plan for next week
The group will find out when Helper and Taylor return from their trips. The specific functions and library files needed to access the timer and set up, read in, and alter BCGrid, Biplane will be found out. 


Week ending in 3/28
back

Overview of Week's Accomplishments
The group got in touch with Helper and Taylor. The needed information was attained and the group wrote out code setting up a BCGrid and Biplane data member with a timer. There were troubles compiling the code, so the group will get help and continue. 

Boss Meeting
None. 

Client Meeting
The group will meet with Taylor next week to inform him of progress and verify the groups direction.  The group did get in contact with Helper and major hurdles regarding the data members and timers were figured out. 

Group Meetings
3/22 (1 hour 30 min):  Juan, Tommy, and Steve applied the help gained from Aaron's explanation of the hardware timer and figured out how to manipulate the timer to regulate and simulate the data reading rate. 

3/23 (30 min):  The group got together to briefly discuss direction. 

3/28 (1 hour 30 min):  Jake, Juan, Steve, and Paul banged out the data member code, but had problems compiling. An email regarding this coding sessions specific problems and further questions for later coding sections was sent to Helper. The group hopes to get an immediate reply from Helper and continue coding early next week. 

Plan for next week
The group will continue coding and designing next week. The group will try to get help and code everyday, because the group often finds many problems when attempting to do any coding. A client meeting with Taylor will also be held. 


Week ending in 4/4 
back

Overview of Week's Accomplishments
The group continued to forge ahead on fixing the compile errors.  There are still some problems for the group to work on. Furthermore, the group broke up the assignment of technical manual. 

Boss Meeting
None. 

Client Meeting
Several mails and visits were made to Helper to get specific help on parts of the code that the group did not understand 
and problems in compiling the code. Several of the problems were solved with Aaron's help, but others have not. 

Group Meetings
3/29 (1 hour) -The group worked on setting up a Biplane in a BCGrid, but the group ran into errors. An email to Aaron was sent. 

3/31 (1 hour) - The group  discussed our plan for the technical manual.  The various parts of the manual were divided up among the group members. 

Plan for next week
The group plans to get the code to compile and continue working on the coding. 


Week ending in 4/11
back

Overview of Week's Accomplishments
The group continued daily contact with Aaron Helper to figure out the group's future plans and to compile the existing code. Furthermore, individual group members worked on their parts of the Implementation  manual. There were still major problems with the code compiling. 

Boss Meeting
None. 

Client Meeting
4/7/99 - (15 min) Producer met with Taylor to briefly discuss progress. Taylor suggested the group working on the individual functions that will be called with each received message, 
while the code compiling errors are worked out. 

4/6/99 - (1 hour 30 min) - Paul, Steve, Tommy and Juan met with Aaron to discuss future plans and get help with compiling. Aaron worked with us for 30 minutes. Although there were still problems, Aaron helped fix some of them. Unclear on what the group should do. 

As was done last week, Aaron was emailed several times regarding questions in the code. 

Group Meetings
4/5/99 - (1 hour) Group worked on code and still had compiling errors. The groups Implementation manual plans were discussed. 

4/7/99 - (1 hour) Steve worked on code, but still had compilation errors. Aaron was emailed. 

4/11/99 - (1 hour) Steve worked on code, but still had compilation errors. Aaron was emailed. 

Plan for next week
The group must start cracking on the code. The suggestion by Taylor to split up the doable functions will be tried.  The group will split up, instead of trying to meet all together, and work on coding. 


Week ending in 4/18
back

Overview of Week's Accomplishments
The group continues to have trouble compiling the code and setting up a BCGrid/BCPlane to store the data in. There were glitches in compiling the VRPN code, due to our use of an old version. The data structures still are not set up, but will be early next week.

Boss Meeting
None.

Client Meeting
Several meetings throughout the week, Steve met up with Aaron to discuss problems. Specifically, Steve received help on compiling the VRPN. There were some errors in the Make file, and those were fixed.  Furthermore, throughout the week there has been correspondence with Aaron about the project

Group Meetings
4/13/99 (30 min) - Group discusses individual progress. There are upcoming deadlines, such as the demo, the final presentation, and the end of class.

4/14/99 (1 hour) - Having worked out the Make file and VRPN, the group continued to ponder the BCGrid and Biplane initialization. The same error messages came up, so Aaron was e-mailed. 

4/16/99 - Steve worked on code and figured out specific questions to ask Aaron.

Plan for next week
By early next week, the group plans on having the BCGrid/BCPlane structure working. With that done, the group will work on the correct passing of data and the individual functions that alter the data. The group will prepare for a demo and work and work and work.
 


Week ending in 4/25
back

Overview of Week's Accomplishments
The group accomplished much over the past week. After getting over the learning curve, the project progressed faster than expected.  The group implemented BCGrid, Biplane, and the other appropriate variables/data structures, message passing, the timer, the reading in of files, and the scanning. There were problems getting the surface to come up on Microscope without crashing. On Saturday night, the group received help from Adam Seeker and was able to verify that all newly added code works with Microscope.  In addition, the group prepared for their demo with the Boss, the final presentation, and the final project report.

Boss Meeting
4/20/99 (20 min) - Talked about the status of project and whether or not we would be ready to do a presentation.

Client Meeting
Everyday, the group met with Aaron or corresponded with him by e-mail

Group Meetings
(4/19) - (1 hour/times for meeting are an approximation of how long the group worked on the project on that day) - the group worked on the data structures and the implementing of a .5 sec initial scanning function. Since there were several small details that we did not understand, such as message passing

(4/20) - (3 hours) - Jake continued to chug on the scanning.  The group met with Aaron, and received versions of VRPN that were current and worked out the compatibility problems. Juan and Steve worked on implementing Aaron's suggestions on message passing. Again after the night
of coding, the group e-mailed Aaron.

(4/21) - (2 hours) - The group continued to work on message passing and other code. There were similar compiling problems as before, so the group e-mailed Aaron. However, the group finally got the code to compile, but there were now problems with the displaying of the image in Microscope.

(4/22) - (1 hour) - Juan and Steve worked on implementing the timer, but had problems.

(4/23) - (1 hour) - Paul and Juan worked on the timer, and got it working

(4/24) - (7 hours) - The group tried to meet with Aaron and get some direct help with the code, but due to miscommunication Aaron was not able to meet.  The group struggled for hours to figure out how to verify that the new code would communicate correctly with Microscope. Later on that evening, Adam Seeker showed the group that the setup file for Microscope was not correct. Once this was fixed, the group was able to verify that the simulator was connecting and sending out a line of surface data every half second and that the message passing was working correctly. The group
began working on implementing other functions.

(4/25) - (2 hours) - The group tried to use the workbench and the PHANToM to see if manipulation of the surface was possible, but unable to get both running correctly. Jake also began working on the returning of a scanned point. There were problems in getting that code to compile, so Aaron's help was sought through e-mail. Steve and Juan worked on getting the parsing working.

Plan for next week
The group must give their final presentation to the class on Thursday of next week and the final project is due on next Sunday. Therefore, the groups tasks will be three-fold, preparing the presentation of things accomplished and learned to the class, work on the documentation, and work the rest of the code. The group is unsure how much of the project that they will be able to accomplish, but the group hopes to get all minus one or two primary requirements done.
 


Week ending in 5/2
back

Overview of Week's Accomplishments
The group accomplished a lot this week. The group implemented the parsing ability of the program, the scanning in of any prerecorded surface files, display of the surface, and touching of the surface with PHANToM. The group has not quite yet finished the modifying of the surface proportional to the force applied, but is very close to finishing.  Furthermore, the group worked on the making of the final presentation and the final project report.

Boss Meeting

Client Meeting

Group Meetings
4/26- The group had problems getting PHANToM and the WorkBench to work properly. Jake and Juan contiue to work on parts of the simulator that we have not accomplished yet. Specifically, Juan and Steve created a surface out of a sine function. Furthermore, Paul and Tommy worked on finalizing the User Manual and Implementation Manual. The group has set up a time for Aron to meet and work out these problems. Because of these problems, the group got an extension for the final presentation to Thursday

4/27 - The group has sort of come to a standstill till Aron helps us.  However, Steve worked on the revision of the Gantt and Pert charts.

4/28 - The group met with Aron and recieved the latest version of Microscape. After this and a little tweaking, the PHANToM touch mode was verified to work. However, these were all done on Aron's UNIX account.  When tried on ours, there were problems getting the PHANToM and the WorkBench to work correctly. With Shariff's help and use of the Nano UNIX account, further work on the simulator and verification through the WorkBench and PHANToM were made. The group taped the final presentation demo and finalized the presentation.

4/29 - Juan and Steve worked on the code.
4/30 - Steve worked on the code for the parser algrithim.

5/1 - Jake continues to work on the coding. Since the modifying (last) requirement is so close to being implemented, it was decided that the group will try to meet with Aron on Monday and get the modifying requirement done after the final project report is turned in. The group worked on the final report and the finalization of all parts of the project report.

5/2 - The group finalized all project report requirements, the documentation of the code, and putting up all the code on the web. Jake prepared questions to ask Aron, so that the last requirement could be accomplished. Final report turned in. The group will meet with Taylor on Wednesday, hopefully with a complete product.

Plan for next week
The group will complete all primary requirements and will turn in the product to the client.