Web Tracer Contract
Client: David Hopp
Team: Clifton Barnett, Cherie Hipps, Jens Persson, Robin Linehan
General Description of Web Tracer
The goal of this project is to create a program, using Java and Perl interface, that will analyze web server logs to produce various information. The information produced will be:
- page hit counts
- user connection time counts
- graphical representation of paths explored by users of a site
- probabilities certain pages will be hit
Primary Team Obligations
- The software will show a record of page hit counts.
- The software will show a record of user connection time counts.
- The software will display a graphical representation of paths explored by users of a site.
- The software will generate the probability certain pages will be hit.
Secondary Team Obligations
The team may, at their discretion, extend the software to include some or all of the following secondary requirements.
- More in depth analysis of the time spent on a page.
- The software will be available on the Internet.
- The software will generate suggestions about how to make the web page analyzed better.
These are the resources required by the team to complete the software. Any lack of these resources will cause the primary and secondary requirements not to be completed.
- Web logs
- Perl Software
- Java Software
The following risks may affect the success of the software:
- Web log designs may differ, adversely affecting the ability of the software to analyze them.
- The graphical representation of paths explored by users of a site may not be interpreted the same by all viewers.
- Data calculated may be incorrect if the software is unable to
determine if a user's IP address is changing during a single visit to the web site.
We sign with the understanding that this is a preliminary contract, and this contract may be changed with the agreement of both the client and the team.