Katie's Meat and Veggie
- 1/2 - 3/4 lb ground beef or sausage
- 1 medium sized onion, chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic (crushed ~ 2 tsp)
- 1 1/2 jars of pasta sauce (26 oz jars)
- 1/2 cup of water
- 15 oz container of riccotta cheese
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup of grated parmesan cheese
- 1 package of frozen chopped spinach (~ 12 oz) (thawed and
- 4 oz of shredded carrots (approx)
- 1/2 - 3/4 lb of lasagne noodles (8-10)
- 4 cups (1 lb) of shredded mozzarella cheese
- Cook ground beef over medium-high heat until lightly
- Add chopped onion and garlic; cook 3 minutes.
- Stir in pasta sauce and water and turn off burner.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Grease 13 x 9 x 2 pan
- Combine riccotta cheese, eggs, parmesan, spinach, and
carrots in a medium bowl.
- Spoon 1 3/4 cups of sauce into the bottom of the pan.
- Top with 4 or 5 uncooked noodles (they need not cover the
sauce entirely -- they will expand while cooking).
- Top with 1 3/4 cups of the riccotta mixture.
- Top with 1 3/4 cups of sauce.
- Top with 2 cups of mozzarella.
- Top with 4 or 5 uncooked noodles.
- Top with remaining 1 3/4 cups of riccotta mixture.
- Top with remaining 1 3/4 cups of sauce.
- Top with remaining 2 cups of mozzarella.
- Cover tightly with foil and cook for 45 minutes; uncover
and cook for 15 minutes or until top is bubbly and
- Let sit uncovered for 15 minutes before serving.
- You can use a spatula to help spread the sauce and
- You can refrigerate a cooked or uncooked lasagne and then cook it
at 375 degrees when you are ready. Cook covered for 1 hour and
then uncovered for 15-30 minutes.
- You can also freeze a cooked or uncooked lasagne and
then heat it at 375 degrees when you are ready. Cook covered for 1
1/2 hours and then uncovered for 15-30 minutes.
- Makes 9-12 pieces of lasagne.
- Goes nicely with salad and garlic bread.