Steffie's Paprika Beef
- a little olive oil (for browning meat)
- 2 lbs. stew meat
- 1 medium-sized onion
- 1 small clove garlic (or 1 tsp. crushed garlic)
- 3/4 cup katsup
- 2 Tbs. Worcestershire sauce
- 1 Tbs. brown sugar
- 2 tsp. salt
- 2 tsp. paprika
- 1 1/2 tsp. dry mustard
- 1 1/2 cup water
- 2 Tbs. flour
- 1/4 cup water
- noodles (one 12 oz. bag) or rice -- enough for 6 servings
even though the recipe serves 4
- Cook the meat, garlic, and onion in a little olive oil
until the meat is brown and onion is tender.
- Drain meat.
- Stir all the other ingredients together in the crockpot (except
the flour, 1/4 cup water, and noodles).
- Add meat, garlic, and onion to the crockpot and stir
- Cook on high for 4-5 hours, then on low if you want until
dinner (or just on low for approx. 8-10 hours).
- If you want to thicken the sauce at the end, blend the
flour and 1/4 cup water to form a paste and stir this
gradually into the crockpot mixture (while the heat is
- Follow steps 1-4 above, using a chicken fryer or cast
iron skillet instead of a crockpot.
- Cover and simmer on low for 2 to 2 1/2 hours, stirring
- Thicken as described in step 6 above, and then turn the
heat up to high and boil for 1 minute for maximum
- Serve over noodles or rice.
- Good with a green vegetable (asparagus or green beans)
and a good bread (sundried tomato).
- Especially good if cooked in a cast iron skillet.
- Just serves 4 people.
- Make 6 servings of noodles or rice for 4 people.