- Meeting with Dick
- Jan 29th, 2001
- Dey 103
- All members present
- Action Items
- How are we going to store the necessary files after running the application (ie: network neighborhood vs FTP)? Network neighborhood if at all possible. We can feel free to change this however.
- What is going to be our naming convention? We need to stick with how the files were named with the original program. We will receive a name from the user, and use that as a prefix to all file names.
- How are we going to communicate to the editor that a new lesson has been created or modifications have been made? Email? Yes, email is the preferred way. We can either have a standard email template that gets sent or just inform the teacher to send an email to the editor.
- Are we responsible for the audio/video file conversions? Real media? We are not responsible for any conversions at this time. The user is only allowed to give us .wav files.
- What is going to be our regular meeting time with Dick? We are going to meet Monday at 3pm in Dey 103. For right now the meetings will be weekly but we may move to biweekly later.
- What are the legal rights with freeware? This is something we need to look into. There should be a license agreement with every piece of freeware. We just need to choose what we're going to use first.
- What are all the necessary features for our application? I think we have a pretty good idea of this. See contract for final features and notes below.
- Write up a schedule for next Tuesday
- Write up a contract for next Tuesday
- The only new items are to begin designing and programming.
- "Everything needs to work perfectly for first 6 months so professors don't give up." - Dick
- Audio Extraction - How important
- The project itself isn't life or death
- Inside the project, audio extraction is rather important. If we can't get it working, just leave a "blank" where someone could fill in the appropriate libraries later.
- We need to find a library for Audio Extraction
- Dick suggested we incorporate C++ and VB together for the project
- We will have some network space to copy things into - space isn't expensive
- Dick doesn't care where this is, as long as it's all in the same place
- Will be on an NT domain box
- Inside folder, will be several language folders. Under the appropriate language folders will be all of the material (not each in separate folders).
- Went over how program will run:
- Users must be logged into the foreign language domain
- For the text: There will only be one file (.html) with two columns. We might have to use a template or just set preferences...it will be written in MS Word. Needs to accommodate 600x800 resolution.
- User should be allowed to point the editor to a URL where the graphic is in the email to the editor.
- Program should NOT allow user to modify after the information is sent to the editor. However, we should implement a 'save' feature that allows the user to save and come back later, before the files are sent.
- Playback on .wav extraction is important
- Admin menu: Dick isn't quite sure what features he wants here so far. Will be discussed at a later meeting.