Subject: Re: DWE Rules
Newsgroups: student

In article <[email-masked]> [email-masked] (Myra Lynne Richburg) writes:
>To those of you who will be taking the DWE's this time the rules and
>your pseudonym will be available to you tomorrow from 7:00 - 3:00.  

And if you miss picking up the rules, an online copy is listed here for your
convenience.

================================ snip here ===============================

			     GENERAL RULES

1.  Don't panic.  There's no reason to panic.  The rumors of questions from
    Hell are absolutely false.  The stories that the Fall test is harder than
    the Spring's are completely unsubstantiated.  So there's no reason to feel
    tense!  Do you hear me?  You should not feel ANXIOUS!  You should NOT feel
    WORRIED!  GET A GRIP ON YOURSELF!!

2.  Use a soft black lead pencil (No. 2 or HB).  Carefully and completely
    blacken the space corresponding to the answer you choose.  Light or
    partial marks may not be read by the scoring machine.

3.  Many examinees wonder whether or not to guess the answers when they are
    unsure of the solution.  Since professors are not allowed (much as they
    would like) to penalize for abject stupidity, it is to your advantage to
    guess, even when the question asks you to determine how many Mythical Man-
    Months it would take a MIMD array of N Tibetian monks to solve an K-pole 
    Towers of Hanoi problem (choice of 3.5" or 5.25" base discs), paying 
    particular attention to the issue of disc contention.

4.  The DWE will consist of nine questions, unless we haven't finished writing
    them all by the day of the exam.

5.  Note that the previous practice of ignoring the lowest eight scores will 
    NOT be continued.

6.  To pass at the MS level, a candidate will be expected to score about 50%
    or more of the maximum overall score, or to include in the answer packet
    a minimum of $20 for every percentage point short of 50%.

7.  To pass at the PhD level, a candidate will be expected to score about 70%
    of the maximum overall score, with a solid 'base', distinct 'peaks', and
    a nifty 'hairdo.'

8.  Use of lethal force is authorized against people who make lots of noise
    in the hallway next to your office.

9.  Each candidate must, after announcement of the DWE results, declare 
    himself/herself:

    a) a candidate for the MS degree
    b) a candidate for the PhD degree
    c) a candidate for the third degree
    d) a candidate for the insane asylum

10. After the results are announced, all graduate students will have access to
    their examination questions, authors' model answers, and their own graded
    scripts.

    Requests for regrades, however, will be forwarded to /dev/null.

			   "EXAMINATION RULES"

1.  Your pseudonym is:	Supercalifragilisticexpialidocius

    Memorize your pseudonym, then destroy this paper.  Misspelling your
    pseudonym will result in points taken off.

2.  Your signature is taken to be equivalent to signing the UNC Honor Code
    pledge and a waiver of all your rights to sue for mental anguish.

3.  The period from sign-out to sign-in must not exceed three-and-a-half
    hours!  If you try to sign in even one minute late, the secretaries at the 
    front desk will look at you and laugh maniacally, in the same way the
    Athletics Department responds to people wanting lower-level seats in 
    the Dean Dome.

4.  Good luck!

								Ron