The Bats demo is a great demo and easy install. The
interface was straightforward to use and effective at conveying
When I used it, the left mouse stopped indicating county names after
I used the right mouse button.
the BATS North Carolina demo.
How hard is it to actually download the software?
- The link made it very easy. However, the connection speed on
Sunday evening was extremely slow, only 23k/s.
Do you think you could still download it if you had a visual
- The only difficult part might be to know where to save the
Install the software. Again, do you think you could install it
if you were blind?
- The software was very easy to install. I already had the MS speech
engine and unselected it from the install menu and the program
- As a blind person, however, I do not know how simple the install
menu would be to read/navigate because of the text and menu.
Run BATS and learn the commands. All of the functions of the
software can be accessed via the buttons on a mouse, trackball,
joystick, etc. Can you figure out what each button does without looking
at the included text document?
- I would feel more confident about the button functionality if
there were a help legend or a quick sheet for commands. Although the
commands are self evident, I wonder if I missed anything. An audio
version of a legend might also be helpful for the blind.
- Only after ½ hour did I discover that double clicking gives more
information about the city or county.
- It seems that the left mouse button stopped giving county names
after I used the right mouse button. Is that a feature?
Explore the map for a few minutes. Get used to the interface.
After you are comfortable with the software, try to complete the
following tasks: Position the cursor on Raleigh. Now close your eyes and
try to get to Winston-Salem using only the sounds and textures. Can you
do it? Roughly how long does it take you?
- Yes, it took a few seconds. My strategy was to follow the cities
between Raleigh and Winston-Salem, which I knew beforehand. I did not
use the county names as I am not familiar with them.
Without looking at the map again, can you tell in what general
direction you traveled?
- I know that Winston-Salem is north-west of Raleigh.
Start in Raleigh again and try to find the city of Greenville
with your eyes closed. What county is it in?
- I could not find the city and discover the county name blindly. It
seems that the left mouse button stopped giving county names after I
used the right mouse button. restarting the demo and using my eyes, I
found that Greenville is in Pit County.
Is it any harder to find this smaller city?
- Yes, I think you had to be closer to the city to hear it properly.
My strategy was to find the cost and then move east. The coast was
easy to find because of the costal sounds.
Position your cursor in Charlotte. With your eyes closed, try
to find the Cherokee Reservation. After about 5 minutes, if you cannot
find it, try to find it with your eyes open. How difficult was this
task? Does the visual map actually help at all in locating this
- No, there was no visible label. I gave up looking and used Expedia
to find it. Once I knew the location I verified it by clicking on the
corresponding part of the map. There is also a beautiful melody
associated with the reservation.