Karen Erickson on literacy for kids with disabilities

I think you will all agree Karen’s talk was really interesting today. Brainstorm about things we might do and be prepared to talk about them in class on Tuesday. Begin by sharing ideas here. I’ll send Karen the link so she can comment if she likes.

I think making a book would make a cool project. Look over the examples at Route 66 site and especially the demo link . I bet you could make a book that their readers would find really interesting. Making the tactile aids she described could be fun too.

If you have questions (or thanks) you want to direct to Karen send them to karen_erickson@med.unc.edu.

7 Responses to “Karen Erickson on literacy for kids with disabilities”

1. ChaseJ Says:

Hey, I don’t know about everyone else, but I really liked the idea of a “field trip” to the Literacy Center. Making fun and educational things seems like a really great start for the class projects to come. I think we would all really enjoy the experience as well.

2. LalithaK Says:

I agree! I also think that we can get more ideas about what we want to do for our projects if we can visit the Literacy Center.

Making books is also a great idea. We need to come up with entertaining stories for kids of all ages. Maybe putting disabled people in the books, so that they can read about other kids like themselves can be more empowering for them.

Also, I think word-less books are a great start for children who cannot read yet. Maybe interactive buttons can help them get more involved in the story.

3. LizzyR Says:

I thought that Karen’s presentation was great! She did an excellent job explaining the work she does & it was apparent she absolutely loves her job. I definately think a field trip there would be a great opportunity for us. I also think making books or helping them with any other odd jobs they need would be a great use of our time. I hope we can make it over to the Literacy Center and check it out!

4. BethanyJ Says:

The stories about the children touched me the most in Ms. Erickson’s presentation. Their individual victories over obstacles put in their paths were amazing and inspirational to see. When I look back on how they each had victory over something seemingly impossible, I could relate more. I used to be scared of everyone that was “different” than me. I did not view them as people with unique circumstances; instead, I viewed them as weird. There was no basis for my judgment, just prejudice. As I get to know personally more and more people with these unique circumstances in their lives, I see more and more characteristics and qualities about their person that I need to have. Gratefulness and appreciation is not something you see many of the people we label as “disabled” take for granted. The people in life that we view as “disabled” or “handicapped” really only have bigger obstacles to overcome. The people in life who grow the most and are the strongest are those with the biggest obstacles to overcome.

5. AlishaH Says:

I absolutely loved Karen’s presentation. It is one thing to talk about disabled people, but it is a whole another world to interact with them. I agree with everyone else on the field trip idea. It would be great to actually meet these individuals and help Karen out as well. I think sometimes hands-on experience is the best teacher. I was fascinated by Karen’s enthusiasm on working with these children. I think she has done some amazing work, and I would personally love to get involved any way I can!

6. ElizabethK Says:

I really enjoyed hearing Karen’s presentation during our last class. It was extremely clear to see that she is completely passionate about what she does. I thought it was truly amazing to find out that her interest for her field of work came at such an early age! I think it would be great if we could do a field trip and/or possibly help her and her staff write books. I’m definitely interested in helping out in any way!

7. BrennaC Says:

I was really touched by Karen Erickson’s presentation. Each child was so sweet and I could feel their fustration in the begining. It was incredible to see their improvement and how much happier they seemed by just relieving the pressure from not being able to interact with reading. I also think the Tango! is an amazing tool. However, the cheap devices worked amazingly well and I realized the creativity involved in thinking of ways to help those that are challenged by disabilities. I also enjoyed the Route 66 idea and website. I think the high-interest content will change the low percentage and levels of reading in the disabled community. I also liked there aproach with the red reading buttons and yellow word study and green writing button. These give all students an opportunity to learn and grow as readers. The integrated tutor makes the equipment useful for anyone anytime. This is a well thought out program and I would love to help anytime.