Selected Curriculum Vitae
John B. Smith
Department of Computer Science
University of North Carolina
Chapel Hill, NC 27599-3175
- B.A. The University of the South (Sewanee), Mathematics, 1962.
- M.A. The University of South Carolina, English, 1964.
- Ph.D. The University of North Carolina, English, 1970.
- The University of North Carolina
- 2011 - present Professor
Emeritus of Computer Science
- 1995 - 2011 Professor of Computer Science
- 1984 - 1995 Associate Professor of Computer Science
- The Pennsylvania State University
- 1974 - 1983 Associate Professor of English
- 1970 - 1974 Assistant Professor of English
- 1970 - 1977 Research Consultant, Computation Center
- Web Services (Comp 190),
- Enterprise Computing (Comp 190 ),
Fall, 2003; Fall,
2001; Fall, 2000.
- Advanced World Wide Web Programming (Comp 118),
- Introduction to WWW Programming (Comp 117),
1999; Fall, 1998; Fall, 1997; Fall, 1996.
- The World Wide Web: What, How, & Why (Comp 006),
- IBM Equipment Grant to support J2EE and Web Service Courses and Research,
2002, $80,000 (shared).
- IBM Equipment Grant to support J2EE and Enterprise Computing Courses and
Research, 2001, $80,000 (shared).
- National Science Foundation, Adapting to Advanced Computer Systems: An Experimental Study of Computer-Mediated Cognition, (IRI-9202253), 9/1/93 - 8
- National Science Foundation, Building and Using a Collaboratory: A Foundation for Supporting and Studying Group Collaborations, (IRI-9015443), 9/1
/90 - 6/30/95, $950,000, including supplement.
- IBM Corporation: Shared University Research Grant, A Hypermedia Environment for Software Development, (#866), 9/1/89 - 8/31/92, $467,932.
- National Science Foundation, An Environment for Developing and Using Cognitive Grammars to Study Human-Computer Interaction, (IRI-8817305), 2/15/89
- 7/31/90, $149,756.
- National Science Foundation, Hypertext '87 Workshop (IRI-8715704),
- Army Research Institute, An Experimental Study of Writers' Cognitive Strategies Using Advanced Computer Tools (MDA-903-86-C-0345), 10/20/86 - 9/19/
- National Science Foundation, Cognitive Strategies for Writers Using Advanced Computer Tools (IRS-8519517), 3/1/86 - 8/31/88, $259,970. Supplement,
Research Experience for Undergraduates, $8,000.
Selected Web Publications
Selected Print Publications
- Smith, J.B. (1994), Collective Intelligence in Computer-Based Collaboration. Hillsdale, NJ: Laurence Erlbaum Associates.
- Shackelford, D.E., Smith, J.B.; & Smith, F.D. (1993), "The Architecture and
Implementation of a Distributed Hypermedia Storage System," Proceedings of Hypertext '93, New York: ACM Press, 1-13.
- Smith, J.B.; Smith, D.K.; & Kupstas, E. (1993), "Automated Protocol Analysis
," Human-Computer Interaction, 8, 2 (1993), 101-145.
- Jeffay, K.; Lin, J.K.; Menges, J.; Smith, F.D.; & Smith, J.B. (1992),
"Architecture of the Artifact-Based Collaborations System Matrix," Proceedings of
CSCW '92, New York: ACM Press, 195-202.
- Smith, J.B.; & Lansman, M. (1992), "Designing Theory-Based Systems: A Case
Study," Proceedings of CHI '92, New York: ACM Press, 479-488.
- Smith, J.B.; & Smith, F.D. (1991), "ABC: A Hypermedia System for
Artifact-Based Collaboration," Proceedings of Hypertext '91, New York: ACM Press,
- Gauch, S.; & Smith, J.B. (1991), "Search Improvement via Automatic Query Reformulation," ACM Transactions on Information Systems, 9, 3 (July), 249-
- Smith, J.B.; & Lansman, M. (1989), "A Cognitive Basis for a Computer Writing
Environment," In B.K. Britton & S.M. Glynn (Eds.), Computer Writing Aids: Theory,
Research, & Practice, Hillsdale, NJ: Erlbaum, 17-56.
- Smith, J.B.; Weiss, S.F. and Ferguson, G.J. (1987), "MICROARRAS: An Advanced Full-Text Retrieval and Analysis System," Proceedings of 1987 ACM International Conference on Research and Development in Information Retrieval, pp. 187-95. Revised version published in special issue of Information Processing and Management.
- Smith, J.B. and Weiss, S.F. (1987), "Formatting Texts Accessed Randomly," Software: Practice and Experience, 17, 1, 5-16.
- Conference Co-chair, CSCW '94.
- Program Committee, CSCW '92.
- Conference Co-chair, Hypertext '87, international workshop held at
UNC, fall, 1987.
- Editorial Board, Collaborative Computing, 1994.
- Reviewer, National Science Foundation, 1986-present.
- Reviewer, Software: Practice and Experience, 1986-87.
- Orange County Information Technology Advisory Committee, 1997-present,
chaired first two years.
- Orange Water and Sewer Authority Board of Directors, 1999-present.