Sourdough White Bread

| tags: recipes

Remove the 1847 Sourdough Starter from the refrigerator, add 1 cup of flour and 1 cup of warm water; stir well. Cover with wax paper and allow it to bubble for 2 to 12 hours. I stir mine from time to time and just before measuring.

Then place the following in the mixer bowl.

• 1 1/3 cups starter.
  • 2 tbs. of butter cut into small cubes + enough milk to make 3/4 cup total. Warm this the microwave, 30 seconds, stir, then heat 30 more seconds. I use the same measuring cup I used for the starter.
  • 2 1/2 tbs. sugar
  • 1 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 3 1/2 cups bread flour

Return the remaining starter to the fridge. I don't fool with it until the next time I bake.

Using the dough hook mix on speed 1 for 1 minute and then speed 2 for 4 minutes. It should form a nice dough that cleans the sides of the bowl. Remove the dough from the bowl, spray the bowl with PAM, and return the dough to the bowl to rise. Cover it with wax paper and allow it to rise at least until doubled. I've let it go as little as 2 hours and as long as 12 hours. Punch it down, shape into a loaf and put it in a bread pan. Allow it to rise for about 1 1/2 hours at 100 degrees or longer at room temperature until it is about one inch or so above the top of the pan. Bake at 325 convection for 32 minutes. Immediately remove from the pan and allow to cool on a rack.

This recipe is a modification of one from "The Bread Machine Cookbook" by Donna Rathmell German.